The management committee is responsible for the safety of the children and staff whilst they are in the Cylch Meithrin, and therefore must ensure the following:
- The building is suitable, comfortable and clean.
- The room temperature of the Cylch should be 18° c
- There must be one toilet and one sink to every 10 children
- There must be a private place available to change a nappy, and the procedure set out in the Cylch's operational plan should be followed (template available on the intranet).
- Hot and cold water must be available to wash hands
- There should be an alternative sink for paint washing etc (this should be discussed with the local Support Officer)
- You should seek, where possible, to ensure shelter in the external play area
- Smoking of any kind in the Cylch Meithrin is not allowed in any circumstances.
- There must be a sign-in book for staff and visitors
- There must be a register to record children's attendance and it is good practice to have a sheet to sign children in and out of the Cylch (template on the intranet)
- It is also good practice to have a signed record of when staff arrive and leave.
- The main door of the Cylch must be kept locked while children are present in order to prevent the children from going out and unauthorised individuals from entering
- Cleaning substances must be kept in a locked cupboard following COSHH (Control of Substances Hazardous to Health) guidelines.
- PAT Testing (testing of portable electrical appliances) must take place every two years.
- The setting’s boiler must be checked by an approved engineer annually.
- There should be a rota for washing and checking toys