Before a meeting of the Committee the Secretary will be responsible for the following:
- determine a date for the meeting, in consultation with the Chair, notifying the other members of the Committee of the date at least two weeks beforehand
- ensure a suitable room for the meeting
- prepare an agenda for the meeting, in conjunction with the Chair
- ensure the minutes of the last meeting are complete
- provide each member with a copy of the minutes
- send or give a reminder note and a copy of the agenda and minutes to every member at least a week before the meeting
- keep a list of those who have apologised that they will not be present
- bring the following to the meeting: paper and a pen, a minute book, the cylch’s constitution, additional copies of the agenda and the minutes, letters or other relevant papers, a diary, 'Cylch Meithrin's Management Guidelines (Big Purple Book)'
At the meeting the Secretary will:
- record the name of everyone present
- read the apologies, and record any other names
- take notes about the discussions, reports and decisions, including the name of the bidder and the substitute
- record the details of any letter to be sent, or other work to be done, in the name of the Committee
- record the date, timing and location of the next meeting.
- ensure that the Chairman signs a copy of the previous minutes
After the meeting the Secretary will:
- draw up the minutes and include them in the Committee's Book/Minutes
- inform parents/carers /guardians, perhaps through a newsletter, about forthcoming events
- write any letter, or do any other work for the Committee. Each letter should include the full name and charity number of the cylch, and use the Mudiad Meithrin logo (support from your Support Officer is available).
In addition, the Secretary will:
- keep a copy of any letter or form sent on behalf of the Committee.
Click here to see more information about a secretary's responsibilities on the Charity Commission's website.