This course is for all those who wish to work in the children’s care, learning and development setting or services in Wales. This course is suitable for year 12 + 13 students (post 16).
It is made up of a mixture of mandatory units, and optional units and covers the age range from birth to 19 years. All units will be a mixture of ‘knowledge and understanding’ and ‘competence and skills’.
You will spend 1 day a week in school for tutorials and 2/3 days a week experience in an early years setting.
An assessor will visit you every month to observe and set written tasks. To qualify for the level 3 Diploma you will need to gain 65 credits - 49 credits from the mandatory units and 16 credits from the optional units.
- Understand the development of children and young people
- Professional practice in early years settings
- Support children’s speech, language and communication
- Promote children’s experiential learning
- Working with babies and young children to support their development and learning
- Support children’s learning in Welsh language development
On completion of the Level 3 Diploma, potential job roles include Cylch Meithrin leader, nursery assistant in a primary school, Foundation Phase assistant in a primary school, nursery nurse or an assistant in a day nursery. You can also progress to the extended part of the Diploma course.