Care Inspectorate Wales (CIW) insists that a full record is kept under lock and key of any accident or incident.
- An accident - anything that causes harm e.g. child falls and injures his arm.
- An incident - anything would have been able to cause harm e.g. a child escaping from the cylch or a member of staff tripped over a wire but no injuries.
- if an accident occurs in the cylch which leads to a child/adult requiring medical treatment the accident should be referred to the HSE through the RIDDOR process and CIW should be informed (see the CIW notification form below). See also the Cylch Meithrin's Operational Plan (example for the members on the intranet.)
- The Committee must ensure that 1 member of staff to every 10 children in every session has a First Aid Certificate.
- HOWEVER – it is best practice that ALL members of staff have the qualification. REMEMBER it will need to be renewed every 3 years. Contact your local Support Officer to find training courses in your area.
First Aid Box
- Every setting has to have a first aid box
- The contents must be checked yearly to ensure that everything is in date, a single person can be appointed to be responsible for the box.
- Click here to see the contents of the first aid box suggested by the HSE.