- If a Cylch Meithrin prepares food of any kind (including a snack), they must register with the Food Standards Agency. Click here for guidelines.
- Staff who prepare food must have a food Hygiene Certificate.
- Environmental Health will inspect settings and give a food rating.
- Detailed records must be kept e.g. fridge temperature*
- For more information see the website of the Food Standards Agency in Wales and see Public Health Wales's Preventing and Controlling Infections for Childcare Settings (0-5 years old) Toolkit, below.
There must be:
- a rota to clean the rooms/kitchen
- a rota to wash toys
- a rota to clean the toilets
- a rota to clean the external area
- a hand washing process
- Dirty water disposal systems
- Nappy disposal systems
There are examples of the following rota on the Mudiad Meithrin intranet: Cleaning, Daily Cleaning of the restaurant, Cleaning of Children's Kitchen Equipment (weekly), Cleaning of Art Room (weekly); Cleaning Equipment, Cleaning Toilets, The Cleaning Routine of the Childcare Room.
Allergies and Intolerances
- You must ensure that staff are aware of the procedures with regards to allergies and food intolerance.
- There must be a record of children's allergies on the food preparation room wall, in the individual child's file and in the Cylch Meithrin room.
- for more information click on the links below: Allergies Poster and Cwlwm Allergies Leaflet.
Any allergies or intolerance should be recorded on the Child Allergy form *
*A Child Allergy form and a Fridge Temperature record sheet are available to members on the Mudiad Meithrin intranet.